RGTS ensures that clients’ technology needs are thoroughly anticipated and professionally secured, regardless of whether you are moving to a new location, expanding to additional space, or reconfiguring your facilities. Honed over decades of experience, RGTS’s technical expertise and project management capabilities help ensure a seamless transition of essential telecommunications services, no matter how complex the relocation.
Office Relocation Checklist and Tips for a Successful Move
Moving can be stressful. The key to a successful move is careful planning. The following checklist will assist you in moving your offices to a new space.
4 to 12 Months Before Moving Day
Take the major steps that will shape the rest of the moving process:
- Choose a real estate broker.
- Find new space and sign the lease.
- Meet with the building manager.
- Set the budget.
- Decide on the layout of the new location.
- Identify major tenant improvement needs.
- Start choosing contractors.
- Obtain the necessary permits.
- Create a master checklist of tasks.
- Choose a move coordinator.
- Order new phone and fax numbers.
- Communicate plans and progress to employees.
2 to 4 Months Before Moving Day
Prepare to furnish and equip your new office.
- Hire movers.
- Order signage for new location.
- Hire commercial cleaning service.
- Order change of address labels.
Telecom and IT:
- Order Internet access.
- Evaluate and upgrade phone services.
- Order additional phone lines.
- Order long-distance service or VoIP services.
- Evaluate server room needs.
- Design office space and layout.
- Order furniture systems.
- Order desks and chairs.
- Order essential office supplies and accessories.
1 to 2 Months Before Moving Day
Begin preparing your staff, customers, and suppliers for your change of address. Purchasing will center on equipment and services for the new office.
- Assign office space.
- Dispose of/donate unnecessary equipment, furnishing, and supplies from the old space.
- Send change of address to all vendors.
- Send change of address to all customers.
- Update your web site to reflect the new location.
Office Equipment and Services:
- Get insurance quotes for new space.
- Arrange for copier move or buy new equipment.
- Order monitored alarm system.
- Order closed-circuit television.
- Order keys, access cards.
- Arrange for office coffee service.
- Order vending machines.
- Order checks and update financial records.
1 Month Before Moving Day
Keep in regular touch with your new landlord or building management team and let them know about your plans.
Preparing Existing Equipment and Supplies:
- Inventory existing computers.
- Inventory and tag existing furniture.
- Store property that will not be moved.
- Obtain moving crates/cartons.
- Pack up common areas.
- Tag all wall items and move to central location.
Preparing the New Office:
- Build out new office.
- Install systems furniture.
- Install phone services.
- Assign new phone numbers, extensions.
- Order utilities.
- Notify US Postal Service of change of address.
- Order new stationery.
Last Week Before Moving Day
Avoid scheduling important client meetings and hiring new employees during this week.
Getting Ready To Leave the Old Office:
- Pack up desks, personal spaces.
- Back up computers.
- Take down systems furniture.
- Empty and clean any refrigerators.
- Dispose of/donate unwanted equipment, furnishings, and supplies.
Final Prep for the New Office:
- Map out the new location and label everything appropriately.
- Inspect the new building.
- Reserve freight elevators and loading docks.
- Distribute new keys, cards.
Moving Day and Following Days
Make sure all services and contracts that are not being moved to new location have been cancelled:
- Post coded signs in new office for movers.
- Protect main moving paths.
- Move plants.
- Set up a “Lost and Found” system.
- Clean out old office.
- Collect old keys and cards.
- Replace office art.
- Periodically visit old office to pick up mail.
- Schedule physical security if needed.
- Schedule refresher phone training.
Relocation ChecklistDownload PDF